A brigade shaped by its community
Red Hill Fire Brigade has served the district since 1940. Our story is one of practical problem-solving, local fundraising and generations of volunteers stepping forward when they are needed.
Our history
Brigade timeline
- 1940
Formation
Red Hill Fire Brigade was formed on 23 March. Rob Holmes was elected captain, with George Jarman as secretary and George Higgins as president.
- 1946
First tanker
An ex-Army truck was purchased and fitted with a water tank and hand pump. It was painted red and fitted with a larger tank in 1948.
- 1952–54
First station
A Nissen hut was erected on the Red Hill railway reserve near Point Leo Road to store trucks and equipment and provide a meeting place.
- 1955
A new captain
Rob Holmes retired as captain and Geoff Hansford took his place.
- 1958
First awards ball
The brigade held its first ball as both a fundraiser and an awards presentation. The tradition later moved to Melbourne Cup Eve.
- 1964
A new truck
An Austin fire truck was supplied by the Country Fire Authority.
- 1968
Junior Fire Brigade
A junior brigade was formed to encourage young people to become firefighters.
- 1971–72
Mechanics Road station
A lease was obtained for land at Lot 2 Mechanics Road, and the new station opened on 5 November 1972.
- 1988–90
Station expansion
The station expanded to include a meeting room, full kitchen, radio room and a three-truck garage.
- 2018
Ladies Auxiliary
The Ladies Auxiliary was formed on 13 October, supporting brigade fundraising and catering during fires.
